Monday, March 8, 2010

EARTH HOUR COUNTDOWN - OAKVILLE HOMES



Energy-saving tips and stories over the next few days about Earth Hour, a global project to turn out the lights for an hour on Saturday March 27 at 8:30 p.m.


By San Grewal

Toronto Star - Staff Reporter

With a full-time job and graduate school on her plate, one could excuse Lindsay Bunce for finding it hard to unplug at night. But before she mentally tunes out for bed, she takes time to disconnect in another important way.

“There’s not much to it,” says the York University masters in education student. “I’m usually doing work at night on the computer before I go to sleep after 11. It starts in the living room. I unplug the T.V. and the computer and all the peripherals—modems, routers, they’re all unplugged. Then all the lamps and anything else plugged into power bars to minimize phantom load.”

She then moves onto the kitchen, where the kettle and other appliances are unplugged.

“I should unplug the microwave as well, I’m going to start doing that. It takes a lot of power to keep it on just for a small clock. There’s lots of clocks around. Everything has a clock on it. We use a lot of power just to run these little digital clocks. We don’t even think about it.”

There is no economic incentive for Bunce’s eco-friendly ways. Her apartment rent includes hydro. As a teacher-in-training, she says it would be hypocritical of her not to do what she can to conserve energy.

“It’s a lifestyle choice. I want to teach using the Toronto District School Board’s EcoSchools program as a core philosophy. If I’m going to teach students I have to model that behaviour.”

View My Website

No comments:

Post a Comment